Thursday, November 20, 2014

Diversity in Play: Sports


My section in Diversity in Play is Sports.

Working definition of sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
There were a multitude of sports I could've used but I narrowed it down two: soccer and basketball(both of which happen to be the top two sports played in the U.S.).
I chose basketball because of my ability to play to game and the history I have with it.
I also primarily focused my observations on USF basketball courts. There are three distinct court types on campus which I classified as: playground, blacktop and gym. What I found was that there are several varying types of interaction based on the different settings and clientele.
My course of action has been primarily participant observation and insights I had from previous experience with the game.

I also have to admit I have a personal affinity for basketball. I tend not to like to interact with anyone I can't play against. Socially basketball is how I met my best friend. It allowed me to have a smoother transition into USF and forge a lasting relationship with my first roommate. It was also how I met my current roommate.

No comments:

Post a Comment